A while back I went to a little Q & A night with Amanda Lee Koe, who is one of my favourite local authors. I had no idea what to expect, but it ended up being a lot of fun because the filmmaker, Kirsten Tan, who is also a good friend of Amanda’s, was the other half of the panel.
I arrived a wee bit late and didn’t really take as many notes as I did the last time I went to a book event hosted by Math Paper Press-Books Actually. But I did take SOME notes!!!
So here they are if you are interested in the slightest:
- Reading is really a collaboration with the author. [So the reader works with the author in terms of processing what is written!]
- “I see it as a 40% blur. Not like 100% like in film-making.”
“Film-making is so facist.” – In regards to being able to picture characters or settings in fiction.
- Amanda was pleased to find out that most people are like her and don’t see a fully realised person, “more like 50% and at an angle where you can’t see the face properly.” And that it is “not a a lack of imagination, but sort of suppressing it.”
- As a writer, storyteller and human being, “you’re not supposed to know the plot from the start.”
- Kirsten Tan said of Amanda’s work, that it was “very high brow and low brow at the same time… something trashy happens every moment but it’s very smart.” I never knew how to quite describe her work, but that is 100% succinct if you ask me!!!
- “If you don’t have that loneliness within you, you cannot observe properly because you just see the visual part of it, rather than seeing more than just the picture.”
- Amanda’s favourite Disney film as a kid was “The Sword in the Stone” and felt that the squirrel scene was so sweet and heart breaking. Which if you ask me says a lot about the way she writes heheheh….
- She’s currently working on a novel and said that Fassbender is her move inspiration for it!!
Before I went, my impression of Amanda was that she was somewhat reserved or even shy!! THAT BEING SAID my basis for this impression was due to her little to no internet presence and the work of hers I have read. I WAS SO WRONG. She is so adorably scatter brained!! I love it!!!! And she uses her hands a lot to talk which also made me feel better about myself because I get very animated sometimes and I constantly worry if I’m annoying people about it.
Obligatory plug to say GO READ HER BOOK “MINISTRY OF MORAL PANIC” IF YOU HAVEN’T ALREADY!!!!!!!!
Buy it from: